Warming Centres Now
Take action to save lives this winter.
Toronto’s shelter system is overcapacity (168 people needing a shelter bed are turned away every single day). The emergency warming centres only open during extreme cold temperatures of -15 degrees or colder. On December 25th, while many Torontonians where celebrating Christmas and Chanukah, one person froze to death in their tent on our streets.
- increase the number of warming centres across the GTA
- make access to warming centres available 24 hours/day throughout the winter months
- end encampment evictions and the destruction of survival gear
- keep the current shelter spaces open, including shelter hotels
- add an additional 2,700 non-congregate spaces within the regular shelter system
Help us get to 1680 signatures this week so that 168 people needing shelter tonight will be safe.
Go to website of Stone Soup Network and send letter template. You are invited to customize the content of this letter as much or as little as you’d like.