Last week, the National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM) at their education iftar, came together with Muslim students, families, community and education leaders to celebrate the anti-Islamophobia work happening across the province while visioning out the work that needs to continue.
"We recognized the work of some the boldest educator and student voices who have been instrumental to tackling Islamophobia in education systems," said NCCM.
• In recognition of their advocacy, courage, and commitment to justice huge congrats to our Student Courage Award recipients Neela Soleiman, Alaa Gehani , Munawara Mazlomyar, Ayesha Imran Iqbal, Shafin Shah, Lujain Alnaji, Dana Ismail and Munira Assim.
• Congrats Rizwana Kaderdina for receiving the Social Justice Educator Award. In recognition of ongoing advocacy and commitment to social justice in education.
• Congrats Rukiya Mohamed for receiving the Trailblazing Educator Award, in recognition of carving a path forward to honour the experiences of Black Muslim students, staff and families in educational spaces.
• Congrats Omar Zia for receiving the Trailblazing Educator Award in recognition of leading systemic anti-Islamophobia work and affirming Muslim identities in educational spaces.
• Congrats Shazia Sheikh for receiving the Trailblazing Educator Award in recognition of leading systemic anti-Islamophobia work and affirming Muslim identities in educational spaces.
"Thank you to all who joined us and huge congrats to our award winners!This work is simply not possible without your support," added NCCM.