Islamic History Month Canada (IHMC) in October aims to celebrate, inform, educate, and share with fellow Canadians the rich Muslim heritage and contributions to society: Contributions in sciences, humanities, medicine, astronomy, and other disciplines that have greatly benefited human progress. IHMC believes that through education and sharing positive stories, all Canadians can grow and connect in the best way possible.
In 2007, IHMC was graciously proclaimed by the honourable and departed, Mauril Belanger, MP, for Ottawa-Vanier. Since then IHMC has been proclaimed in provinces and municipalities across Canada and community members and organizations have hosted countless events every year bringing communities together to share and learn from one another.
IHMC Theme 2022: ‘Multicultural Flavours of Muslim Cuisine’.
The objectives are to share the culinary contributions of Muslims to health, wellness, social peace and societal harmony.
To paraphrase the essence of Prophet Muhammad’s ﷺ Hadith: “There are blessings and abundance in sharing of food” and “A Muslim is not one who sleeps with a full stomach, while their neighbours sleep hungry. The following are some ideas around which you can organize and celebrate IHMC 2022:
• Share the diversity of Muslim cuisine by organizing a Food Fest in collaboration with local Muslim businesses.
• Gather donation of non-perishables healthy food items within the community for food banks. Organize food packages for distribution.
• Public education on the Halal diet. Share knowledge of the ethics and etiquettes of food preparation and consumption.
• Showcase culture of hospitality and sharing, rights of guest and neighbours.
• Talks on the benefits of the fruits and honey mentioned in the Qur’an.
• Gather multicultural recipes to share with the public.
After more than two years of online IHMC activities, this year let us reconnect with celebrations of sharing food, fun activities, education and showcase the rich heritage of Muslim Cuisine from the many Muslim cultures and enjoy their hospitality.
Find a toolkit for IHMC 2022 here.