(March 6, 2015) – Three Muslim schools in the Greater Toronto Area scored perfect marks in the Fraser Institute’s annual ranking of Ontario elementary schools.
This Report Card on Ontario’s Elementary Schools 2015, ranks 3,037 public and Catholic schools, and a small number of private schools, based on nine academic indicators derived from the results of province-wide tests of reading, writing, and mathematics skills.
For the 2013-2014 school year, the following Islamic schools all received perfect scores of 10:
- The Islamic Foundation School in Scarborough
- The IQRA Islamic School in Mississauga
- The Olive Grove School in Mississauga
“Parents have repeatedly shown they value the ability to track the performance of their child’s school and compare it to other schools,” said Peter Cowley, Fraser Institute director of school performance studies. “Our report card allows them to quickly and easily determine if their child’s school is improving or worsening academically.”
Across Ontario, 180 elementary schools showed significant improvement in their academic performance over the past five years, according to the Fraser Institute’s rankings released on March 1.
“Educators at the 180 improving schools should be applauded for their success,” Cowley said. “Conversely, parents at declining schools should be asking the principal why the school’s overall rating is falling.”
The scores in reading and writing improved slightly across the province, while there was a dip in math results.
Meanwhile, a number of other Islamic schools across the province achieved a rating score of 9 and above, including:
- The Islamic Institute of Toronto Academy in Scarborough (9.8)
- An-Noor Private Islamic School in Windsor (9.6)
- London Islamic School in London (9.6)
- Safa & Marwa Islamic School in Mississauga (9.6)
- As-Sadiq Islamic School in Thornhill (9.5)
- Islamic School of Hamilton in Hamilton (9.1)
- ISNA Islamic School in Mississauga (9.1)
- Wali ul Asr Elementary School in Brampton (9.0)
Detailed results of all 3,037 schools can be found at www.compareschoolrankings.org.